Thursday, May 13, 2010

Margiela. ela. ela.



I've never been keen on Rihanna's music.  So. freaking. annoying.  Her style is borderline pretentious but I actually experienced a moment of jealousy when I found a picture of Rihanna on a KIIS FM rave card.  Further research revealed that the picture was taken behind-the-scenes at the Rude Boy music video filming.  The video is here in case you're interested...the only thing "interesting" is its (BLATANTLY) sexual nature which makes the feminist in me burn up like maaaaad.  Seriously, was that just two seconds of nothing but boobs??  Way to be an object, gurl.  Anyway, it's times like these when I need to remind myself that I created this blog to write about fashion.  Rihanna appeared in Maison Martin Margiela for maybe less than ten seconds in the video.  BUT SHE WASN'T WEARING JUST ANY MMM.  It was the vinyl record dress from the designer's Fall 2008 Artisinal collection, which I recognized from yoox.com, the e-luxury store that sold select Artisinal pieces to benefit the Rosa Spier House in Holland.  But the dress isn't available to purchase anymore (in fact, everything from the exclusive sale is gone).


Just not being able to see detailed pictures of these clothes pains me...I'll never be able to identify which records were in that piece.  Above is a picture from MMM's website and below is a short description about the dress:

" RECORD DRESS "
A crepe de chine dress is decorated with 33 and 45 rpm records.the records have been cut, then shaped while warm to mould to the shape of the body.

Image sources: RihannaDaily.com, Maison Martin Margiela website

2 comments:

Ken said...

i was at a bar yesterday and they had records decorating the ceiling and this just reminded me of that~

Giia said...

Really inspiring!

http://giiastonic.blogspot.com