Thursday, February 11, 2010

RIP Alexander McQueen







A few weeks ago, I fumbled with a hairnet I was supposed to wear at my workplace.  I stretched the web of thread over my head and the elastic fell over my face such that my hair stuck to my forehead and cheeks. It was a strangely familiar look that originated at a fashion show. But which one? Just yesterday, I saw a picture of Alyona Osmanova wearing a draped fringe dress that shined in dark silver tones. She also wore that same hairnet style I thought of not too long ago. Where did all this come from?



I logged onto the internet today and came upon a short but devastating paragraph.
ON BEHALF OF LEE MCQUEEN'S FAMILY, ALEXANDER MCQUEEN TODAY ANNOUNCES THE TRAGIC NEWS THAT LEE MCQUEEN, THE FOUNDER AND DESIGNER OF THE ALEXANDER MCQUEEN BRAND HAS BEEN FOUND DEAD AT HIS HOME. AT THIS STAGE IT IS INAPPROPRIATE TO COMMENT ON THIS TRAGIC NEWS BEYOND SAYING THAT WE ARE DEVASTATED AND ARE SHARING A SENSE OF SHOCK AND GRIEF WITH LEE'S FAMILY.

LEE'S FAMILY HAS ASKED FOR PRIVACY IN ORDER TO COME TO TERMS WITH THIS TERRIBLE NEWS AND WE HOPE THE MEDIA WILL RESPECT THIS.
I didn’t ponder over the identity of the mystery designer any longer. At this moment, Alexander McQueen and his legacy are in all of our minds.


Fall 2006


Spring 2007. Tim Blanks praises McQueen's individuality.


Make-shift memorial outside the Alexander McQueen store in New York City




Shalom Harlow and spray-painting robots in Alexander McQueen for Givenchy Spring 1999


Outside the Alexander McQueen store in New York City



Fall 1997

Fall 2006

"People always ask me why I don't stick around after the show, but stick around for what? I never go to my after-show party. I've been a rock kid. I've done all that madness. Things change. I know what kind of world I work in, and I find the social and political side of it incredibly stressful. I'm now in a position where I don't have to play the game, and I choose not to. I visit. I don't stay."
-Alexander McQueen

Image sources: wwd.com, style.com, Vogue Paris' Twitter, dior_courture1245 of tFS

1 comment:

MADISON thing said...

Amazing in depth post on McQueen.
May he R.I.P.
I am now following your blog, you are so inspiring. Please keep in touch.

His final collection in Paris was absolutely stunning, as were all of his collections.

My post on his Final Collection.

♥ MADISON thing

www.madisonthing.blogspot.com