Friday, December 11, 2009

Rainy Day Illusions



Southern California is finally getting a considerable amount of rain, which is a good thing.  We don't want to be in a drought or anything.  However, this is the worst week for heavy rain...it's Finals Week at my school!  Good thing I haven't been hit so hard by exams but as I trekked to my review session and first final on Monday evening, the high winds threatened to break the umbrella I let my friend use.  However the clear bubble umbrella that my cousin gave me for my birthday was really sturdy!  I was able to cover my whole head  and watched for incoming cars and other kinds of POTENTIAL DANGER through the plastic material.



A stormy day isn't a pretty sight to my eyes and unfortunately, my umbrella makes all of that visible.  If I had some change to spend, perhaps I'd buy this beautiful sky umbrella.  All I'd have to do is look up to escape the dreary gray reality.  Famed graphic designer Tibor Kalman created the brilliantly blue image hidden beneath the black covers.  Sometimes called a "Magritte umbrella", the graphic probably refers to the sky background that appears in some of the artist's surreal paintings.  You can often find this artsy accessory in museum gift shops, but you can conveniently buy one from the Museum of Modern Art online store for $48 or even a mini version from the Target website for $28.79!



Aspinal of London's feminine and classy ladies umbrellas also provide a much-needed hint of sunniness with hidden lotus graphics.  If you're not already impressed by the three differently colored flowers and the gray and yellow gradients, each umbrella handle is fashioned with a brass chain and a black or pink Swarovski crystal.  This rainy day accessory is quite pricey at $225, but up until December 31, you can apply the code HOLIDAY20 for 20% off orders of at least $150!



What do you know, it just started raining here in LA.  By the way, I'm back home for winter break!

3 comments:

fadetoblack said...

love the umbrella with the flowers inside!

++

♥ [jc]milky oreo said...

they are so cute.

kirstyb said...

great post x