Monday, October 26, 2009

Made in USA?



A few days after dropping $50 at the nearby Gap, my Asian American Studies professor wanted to show us this video, a clip from Behind the Labels.  It's a documentary about indentured workers in Saipan who are paid very little to create many of the garments we wear.  My class wasn't able to watch the whole video in class so I watched it at home myself.  I considered Gap one of my favorite stores, so I felt terrible after seeing footage of the sweatshop's horrible working conditions and listening to the workers' sad stories of loss and false hope.  Just thought this might be relevant to my blog (not to mention that my midterm for this class is in a few days).  To learn more about what you could do to defend human rights, visit witness.org.

No comments: