Monday, October 5, 2009

Beyond Borders



I have a LOT of unpublished drafts for this blog...some good material that just never gets shows up in public because I was too busy/lazy to finish the posts.  Though I feel that some of my unpublished posts are now irrelevant, I was never able to mention what happened back in September 1, when my insomnia was growing severe.  I found the most stunning fashion editorial ever and here's how I got a hold of it...



As soon as I read V Magazine's tweet, I contacted my friend, an NYU student, via Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, voicemail, and text (free, courtesy of an iPod Touch app), just in case he didn't receive 4/5 of my messages (paranoid, much?).  After laying in bed awake for three hours, my cell phone rang and he was walking the streets of NYC at 8:30AM Eastern time.  I was so surprised that he was up that early and I told him that I hadn't been able to sleep and he replied, "Good, now you can talk to me!"  We didn't talk for almost a week since he set off to New York so I guess it was a good time to catch up.  I guided him through the busy city by looking at Google Maps (he got lost, even though Mercer Street is right next to NYU) and it was so bizarre to talk to him while he pointed out all the signs he saw.  A picture of John Lennon advertising the Rock and Roll Hall of FameFashion's Night Out ads plastered on all the buses.  Hearing about all these sights in the big city was surreal; the only ads I saw for Fashion's Night Out were on the internet and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is something I've only read of.  So talking to my friend while he walked the streets of New York City was the closest I've ever gotten to being there.



Anyway, it was nice to finally talk to him.  Not so nice getting caught talking on the phone by my mother at 6AM (I told her I was guiding my lost friend, hah). The first thing I did when I receive the magazine in the mail was attempt to peel off Lady Gaga's Marc Jacobs sunglasses but they barely budged.  Has anyone gotten them off?  Er, without damaging the cover?



I was clued in to one of V Magazine's upcoming editorials when I found this photo on Tumblr of Freja and Sasha awkwardly contorting their bodies while a mob of tourists gathered from all around (I would've done the same...starstruck little me).











This is one of the most amazing editorials I've ever seen in its physical form.  The full spread photos (fills two pages) are worthy of being art prints.  That's what I love so much about high quality magazine paper. Hear that, Vogue?

These pictures really remind me of this Beastie Boys music video, with the angles and space-age theme going on:



Ugh, I love this song, even if it gets stuck in my head all the time.

For those of you who can stay awake at odd times of the day, you can watch Alexander McQueen's spring show (mysteriously titled Plato's Atlantis) live here, on Tuesday (today, technically!) 8:15PM, Paris time.  Too bad I was planning to meet up with an adviser today...maybe I'll finally major in something.  If you can't see McQueen's show, try watching Louis Vuitton on Facebook, of all places, at 2:30PM, Paris time.  I don't think I'll be able to stay up that late (never thought I would say that!)...so boohoo for me, but hope the timing over at your side of the globe works out perfectly for you!

Images: Fashion Gone Rogue, Twitter, fuckyeahsasha on Tumblr

6 comments:

Strutt said...

beautiful!!

i wish we had v-magazine here in Toronto.. haha get me a copy please!! lol ill cryy haha i love lady gaga!!

http://ForYourSATISFASHION.com

Valerie A. Heck said...

I just found your blog and I love it!

✿ e m i r i said...

so thats how they do a photoshoot in a city... if i knew I'd probably be in the crowd right next to you with my damaged digital camera. (:

Phyllis said...

wow, that editorial is intenseee. thanks for sharing!

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

I love it! So cool to see the "behind the scene" shot too and then the finished product.

Ashburn Eng said...

I HUG THIS SPREAD ALOT!