Monday, September 21, 2009

LFW, IMO. Part 1: The Weekend Wave



I am now blogging from the tiniest two-person apartment room I've ever seen!  It's so strange to be back on campus; even stranger that every classroom is farther from my living space this year!  This makes great exercise, though.  My school is huge (HUGE!), so everyone gets a workout here.

London Fashion Week is celebrating its 25th anniversary, inviting back top British designers who often travel abroad to show their collections.  These include the likes of Christopher Bailey of Burberry Prorsum, Antonio Berardi, and Matthew Williamson. I haven't been keeping up with Fashion Week so much, but I'm catching up so here we go...some bits I liked from LDN FW:



Mary Katrantzou is such a talent in trompe l'oiel fashion.  The dresses look like they're made of some sort of swirled, metallic material but they're all part of the designer's clever visual trickery.  I kept asking myself whether these features were illusions or not.  And the cuffs (for the wrists and neck) that glass blower Peter Layton crafted are so beautiful.  The pieces themselves seem delicate but once they're worn, the subject appears strong.



This swimsuit is the only thing I liked from Topshop Unique's collection, but I wouldn't wear it.



Matthew Williamson's collection is AMAZING.  I'm literally looking at these pieces without even glancing at the models' faces.  I'm loving those paper bag skirts and shorts, the pastels and nudes, the triangle patterns, and those shoes with the weird bows!  You know what, I love everything.

I just discovered some great NYFW collections...so this is a reminder that I must babble about them someday.

If you're going to be awake at 6:30PM, London time on Tuesday the 22nd, you should definitely watch the Burberry Prorsum fashion show, which is streaming live on live.burberry.com.

Images: Philipp Klinger, Style.com

1 comment:

✿ e m i r i said...

I wonder how they made those swirls on the cloth.

haha, the bows.