Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Subscriber's edition of Harper's Bazaar is HERE


THAT'S RIGHT, Agyness Deyn, NOT gossip gal Leighton Meester is on the cover of the subscriber's edition of Harper's Bazaar.  JEALOUS MUCH?...eh, I know a lot of people are up to here *raises hand as high as it can go" with Aggy.  I don't find her so annoying but maybe it's because she's not as big of a deal in America as she is in the UK.  But anyway, isn't the cover super cute with the red letter A (or should I say SCARLET LETTER??...) dangling like that?  A is for Agyness!  I love how minimalistic Harper's Bazaar covers have been lately.  They may be taking cue from our beloved European periodicals.


I was REALLY excited for this issue, despite finding out that a cast member of Gossip Girl was going to be on the newstand edition's cover.  I've only watched one ridiculous episode of Gossip Girl, when my friends decided to do a little catching up with the show (during my birthday party, too).  After being disappointed with the unflattering Bazaar cover, a slew of editorial updates for the September issue of the magazine popped up on tFS and Fashion Gone Rogue.  And...I was SO impressed!  American magazines have such a bad rep with their BORING editorials...so conservative, so Old Navy, so American-living-in-suburbia.  But here were these editorials supposedly from Harper's Bazaar that really looked like something inside Vogue Paris or i-D! (yes, you can disagree)  And the great thing is that the issue is really editorial-heavy, quite uncommon for a mainstream American fashion magazine.  Also, the editorials feature an all-star roster of models...Eniko Mihalik, Siri Tollerod, Lara Stone, Naomi Campbell, and MORE!

Here are previews of a few photo eds from the issue:


"Thriller Fashion"
Ph: Terry Richardson  Model: Agyness Deyn

Aggy's ed is a bit tacky and might piss off a few people but it's an interesting theme.  If there was a Beatles-themed editorial (and I DID find something like that!!!!!!!), I'd be pleased!


"Fabulous At Every Age"
Ph: Terry Richardson  Model: Leighton Meester

This just seems like a poor imitation of Eniko's much more convincing age transformation editorial from Vogue Paris November 2008.


"Supermodels Supernatural"
Ph: Peter Lindbergh  Models: Kristen McMenemy, Cindy Crawford, Amber Valleta, Nadia Auermann, Shalom Harlow, Claudia Schiffer, Helena Christensen and Tatjana Patitz

Lindbergh has long been taking pictures for fashion mags and his skills have not gone rusty at all!  Since I never wear make-up I love that the subjects are wearing no make-up.  Even though the images weren't digitally retouched, these beautiful supermodels can make a 20-year-old jealous!


"Wild Things"
Ph: Jean-Paul Goude  Model: Naomi Campbell

Jean-Paul Goude is so talented; his images are so iconic and never boring.  I only wish this editorial was longer but I could look at each of Goude's four double-page images FOREVER.


"Unsung Hero"
Ph: Hugh Stewart  Model: Susan Boyle

Some tFS people were upset with Susan Boyle being in Bazaar, but I don't see anything wrong with that!  She looks absolutely adorable in the pictures! (um, did she ever win Britain's Got Talent? I don't keep up with these things...)


"Peggy Guggenheim's Venice"
Ph: Karl Lagerfeld  Models: Lara Stone and Baptiste Giabiconi

Obviously Karl was going to drag boytoy Baptiste into the Harper's shoot.  Lara is fully clothed (finally..) and looking nice and refined!


"Proud to Shop"
Ph: Terry Richardson  Model: Madelena Frackowiak

Magdalena looks hot, as always.  This editorial totally looks like something from Paris Vogue with that wash-out lighting and leg-flattering camera angle.

"From Seventh Avenue to Sesame Street"
Ph: Jason Schmidt  Models: Sessilee Lopez and Tao Okamoto

My favorite editorial in the whole issue!  Placing CFDA members in Sesame Street?  How kitsch. HOW CUTE!

Okay that post was super long, time to take a break.

P.S. I just noticed that Terry took a bulk of the photos in Bazaar.  I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.


Image sources: models.com, Harper's Bazaar, Luxx (tFS), flyme2themoon (tFS)

4 comments:

✿ e m i r i said...

you make me want magazines! x)

there's just something about Agyness that always catches my eye. but i like leighton too. i like some of the outfits she wears.

btw, susan boyle was second place :/

ryder said...

i like agy's cover, but i dont like the inside editorial.
usan is awesome! what a dream come true! well, except the breakdown.

Fashion Addict said...

I really want this magazine. I just really do now!

Oh and I wanted to let you know that I'm hosting a contest at my blog and I'm giving away a new watch so please stop by and enter!

Rebecca, The Clothes Horse said...

This mag looks awesome! I love models on the cover...but I just dislike Aggy so much! I feel like she can't pose with her mouth shut.