Saturday, July 18, 2009

Trip to Renegade

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The first floor of California Market Center was way spookier than the 13th floor.

I was a little unsure whether I was going to go to Renegade Craft Fair or not, but I did, and I'm so glad! My friends really really enjoyed it, so I'm glad I told them about the event. Even our driver, my friend's mom, an arts and crafts enthusiast, LOVED the fair and probably bought more than any of us! As expected, most of the products were on the pricey side but I was surprised at the high quality of most items. Some items that made me raise my eyebrow because you can pretty much make these things at home with very little equipment. But fortunately, the fair had plenty of great vendors. Here were the scenes at Renegade...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

First thing you see when you walk in is...a Postcard Machine. It even talks to you makes sounds when you turn the knob and push the dial (obviously a person was inside). Cute idea, but I'd rather see what I purchase before I actually spend $2 on it.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Some of Nate Duval's beautiful concert posters. My favorite was actually the silver Ice Cube poster, which Nate only used two different colored inks to print! But I don't even know who Ice Cube is. 

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Many of the vendors applied exclusive discounts at the fair!  Eight Fomato cards for $20?? You've got to see them to love them!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The prettiest hand-sewn vintage fabric shorts EVER. I bet I fitted into them, too, but they were a tad too expensive, over $100. Sold by Market Store Shoppe...I think.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Craft fair or meat market? Sweet Meats plushies (related: I was looking for the Sweet Meats site and I typed what I thought was the URL but I ended up at some Sweet Meats adult site...weird...and gross).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Pop of Pop + Shorty (I'm assuming he is Pop...because he is definitely not a shorty) was too funny. My friends were looking at his print guide (a list of Mac short cuts), debating whether to buy it or not (I'm a PC so the shortcuts would only help me at school where I am forced use Macs), and he told us "You NEED these" and even offered the guide at a discounted price of $2! (Yes, they eventually bought it.) Pop also wore a button with a picture of himself sans LA hat, plus glasses.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Kevin Tong
, who I mentioned in my Best Picks post for art, had AMAZING screenprinted posters. The Jenny Lewis one shown above looked so much better in person! The picture doesn't do justice for the poster's metallic inks! I was really considering buyingit, but I don't even listen to Jenny Lewis! A couple of my friends talked to Kevin, who graduated from CSU Long Beach. That kind of makes me want to transfer there. Much closer than San Diego!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Plushies at Cakefruit's booth. I swear, my friend's handmade Halloween costume looked exactly like that big rice cake, except cuter and maybe 10 times bigger.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Killsonic
, LA's raucous marching gang with a reputation of enthusiastic reviews from LA Weekly and Los Angeles Times. I could have sworn that they were playing Walls by Beck for a minute.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In the end, I ALMOST didn't purchase anything but after seeing my friends holding all of their new cutesy items, I ran back to Two Rabbits Studios' booth and got one of their amazing screenprinted American Apparel shirts. I totally overlooked Two Rabbits when I was going through all the Renegade artist webpages...these two guys print gorgeous concert posters for some of my favorite artists including Yelle and Ra Ra Riot. I'm a reeeeeeeeal sucker for screenprinted things...I totally would've gotten a poster if it was an artist I loved, not kind-of-liked-but-not-really.  The shirt was...not cheap ($25...yes there was some buyer's remorse) but I'm glad I came home with it!

Woah, you made it to the bottom of the post! Reward: I'm letting you know that the Shu Uemura site is offering free shipping until July 19 if you enter FSHIPPING at checkout! Also, here's a $5 off coupon for an Amoeba Music purchase of $25 or more (in-store only)! Last thing, ideeli is having a Miu Miu clutch giveaway and a Calvin Klein sale (click here for the invite link).

No comments: