Monday, June 1, 2009

IN THE YEAR 2000


Yes, the title of this post is a homage to Conan O'Brien who has to be one of the funniest people alive. If you watched Late Night with Conan O'Brien regularly before Jimmy Fallon became the show's new host, you would know that "IN THE YEAR 2000" was a regular sketch on the show. Huge congrats to the obscenely tall Irish American for becoming the new host for The Tonight Show, my favorite late night talk show! Jay Leno shall be missed...until he returns in September for his new primetime show. And sure, Conan is an odd choice for The Tonight Show (at least that's what I think!) but Conan is SO HILARIOUS. Have you seen his most recent talk/virtual golf match with Tiger Woods?? Well, if you didn't, I did you a favor and included a video of a short clip from their meeting! I LAUGHED SO MUCH I COULDN'T BREATHE.



But anyway, here's a change of pace: I stumbled upon Michael Thompson's portrait of Julianne Moore for the April 2000 issue of Vanity Fair just yesterday and if you are/were an art history student, this portrait is obviously a nod towards Ingres' 1814 oil painting titled La Grande Odalisque. Some differences are noticeable to an art critic's eye; this especially includes the fact that Julianne Moore's spine is not as slinky and deformed as the original odalisque's fully exposed back. Still, it is a wonderful portrait that has a striking resemblance to the centuries-old painting!

This beautiful, vivid photograph (most likely Photoshopped) was supposedly featured at the Vanity Fair Portraits exhibit that I attended at my favorite museum the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. However, I don't recall seeing the photo... Pity! It would've been awesome to see a physical high quality print right in front of my eyes.

And now to watch Conan...AHHH! Excited!

No comments: